So, the time has come, you can’t deny it anymore — your windows have seen better days. It is time to replace them with something a little more up-to-date, appealing, and with triple window glazing.
That being said, it indeed is not an easy process to select the best windows for your home. In fact, many homeowners find the whole thing to be somewhat overwhelming as there are so many styles, materials, and features that are on the market.
Here are some great tips for choosing the most suitable window for your home.
1. Consider the style of your home.
As with any transformation you decide to perform in your home, you want to keep in mind the style and vibe of your house before selecting any windows. After all, upgrading your windows is a significant investment, and as they can last up to 20 years, you want to make sure that you are going to be happy with them for a long time to come.
If you are unsure of what types of windows will aesthetically complement your home, spend some time looking at inspiration on the Internet. Seriously! There is no better way to see how specific designs look with different styles of house and decor than to check out all the examples to be found online.
2. Decide whether you need new or replacement windows.
The first big decision you will need to make is whether or not you need new or replacement windows.
What is the difference? Well, generally, new windows are installed when you want to modify the size or shape of the current window opening and insert an entirely new window.
One of the benefits is that you can effectively transform the character and feel of your house. That being said, as it requires additional labor, it can increase the price.
On the other hand, a replacement window merely requires removing the old windows without touching the encompassing frame and installing new windows that match the existent opening. Due to the fact that replacement windows need less labor, while the actual replacement windows may cost the same as new windows, the overall cost of the job may be less.
You only want to opt for replacement windows if you have a frame that is in excellent condition and fits the vibe of your home (see#1).
3. Research the window styles on the market.
The next step is to spend some time researching the window styles that are on the market to educate yourself on your options. To help you in your journey for the most suitable windows for your home, here are five fantastic styles of windows.
- Sliding windows: Appreciated for their sleek and smooth style, these are perfect for openings that are wider than they are high. However, they provide less ventilation than other styles.
- Tilt-and-turn windows: A flexible style of window that can be opened in two directions, providing a significant amount of control over the amount of ventilation allowed in. Additionally, they are one of the safest options as they open inwards.
- Casement windows: Best for tall and narrow window openings, casement windows are energy-efficient, and they provide excellent airflow.
- Bay and bow windows: A beautiful way to create a stunning focal point in any room as this style of window adds architectural interest. Also, they make a room appear larger than it is.
- Fully reversible windows: Designed specifically for high-rise buildings or rooms with challenging-to-reach locations as these windows rotate, securely and smoothly, 180 degrees for easy cleaning.
By having this wide variety of windows on the market, you as a homeowner are able to select the perfect designs for your needs and aesthetic preference.
4. Pick a reliable contractor.
The final step is to pick a reliable contractor who can execute your grandiose plans to upgrade your windows. While there are numerous methods to find an excellent window installation contractor, it is best to first select the type of window you want and then search for a contractor who is specially partnered with that manufacturer.
Have you updated your windows recently? Or, are you considering doing it sooner rather than later? What styles are you considering? Let us know in the comments below!
Carmen Velilla is an experienced Brand Manager currently overseeing the strategic development of multiple brands as part of the Epwin Group. She is an Associate Member of the Chartered Institute of Marketing (ACIM), specializing in Corporate Communication and Digital Marketing.